Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Novel Rambles: Warm Bodies By Isaac Marion



Paperback: 256 pages

Publisher: Atria/Emily Bestler Books; Reprint edition (December 25, 2012)
Authors Website: http://www.isaacmarion.com/


Synopsis:There is a zombie apocalypse taking over the world. Countries are falling apart and the population is dying out at a very rapid pace. One city tries to preserve the humanity. They block out a section of the city and no body gets in or out without going through tough security measures and immigration routine. The man in charge is known as General Grigio. He trains the youth of the city to fight zombie's. He hopes that one day they can get rid of the zombies by finding a cure for the virus that is possessing everyone, but in the meantime training everyone to hold their ground is the best that he provide for the people he has vowed to protect.

The main character of story is his daughter, Julie.As her life takes a turn, she befriends a zombie by the name of "R". The relationship between the two character is unexpected, and takes us on a wild exploration of the art of love.

Review 

When I picked up the book, I knew what the general story line of the book was going to be about, it also helped that I watched the movie a week or so before starting the novel. I was pleasantly surprised with the story detail of the book vs. the movie.


Movie-to-Book Adaptation

First lets discuss, the movie.  I'm going to begin by saying the movie was made by "Summit Entertainment". Just knowing that, I was already expecting the movie to be a lot like "Twilight". As soon as the movie began I quickly began noticing some similarities between the two. Some of the events that occurred in "Twilight" could be compared to the events that happened in "Warm Bodies". For example "The Bonies" are very similar to "The Volturi" in "Twilight". Secondly, I don't know if it was only me but I felt that the actress, Teresa Palmer that played "Julie" looked a lot like Kirsten Stewart.


The movie was a bit of a disappointment for me because I spent the whole time finding similarities between "Warm Bodies" and "Twilight". I thought that the actor "Nicholas Hoult did an amazing job playing a zombie. After reading the book, I feel his acting was just prefect. The way that I pictured "R" in the book was exactly how he was portrayed in the movie. I loved the make up that was done on all the zombies, especially if you look at before and after pictures, Hoult is barley recognizable.
                      V.S             
I felt that the movie left out a lot of very important parts that the book touched upon. Overall, the movie was mindless entertainment and I give it  a 3/5 rating.

Book

Wowzer's, I am going to start by saying that if you watched the movie but, haven't read the book go read it right now. 

I was pleasantly surprised with the detail and the background information that the book gave.  I love the very well developed characters because not one character had a simple story line to them. You get to see "R" and Julie go through some very emotional and personal issues which they have to learn to deal with. They are such beautiful and complex characters,  that with each turn of the page you want to learn more and more about them.

I really enjoyed seeing how the book portrayed Perry ( Julie's Boyfriend), as well as seeing more of his input through out the novel. 

The character's really mature from page to page and you are on the edge of your seat watching a complicated friendship begin to develop.  Even the minor character, leave an impact as they are used as action builders. 

The book explores the theme of love. You get engrossed in an action filled plot and as a reader are introduced to the different perspectives of what love is from the many different characters that make this book so memorable. You get to view it from five different perspectives (General, Perry,R, Julie, and  M) and each of them see love in a different way depending on their life circumstances. You also, get to glimpse the way the characters see the life they are living and how it effects their mental state as well. It was very interesting to see how every single major character had a thread attached to them and how their actions influenced and caused circumstances that other characters had to deal with. Even the minor character played a huge part, they tied all the loose ends between the major characters and created a nice balance.

This was a great story, with amazing and memorable characters that quickly become your friends. I give it a 5/5 stars, I can't wait to get my hands on the 0.5 novella "The New Hunger" and 0.6 "Boarded Window" both written by Issac Marion. 

Picture: Warm Bodies- Property of Isaac Marion, Nicholas Hoult- Property of Nicholas Hoult and Summit Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment